How to Apply
The information below applies only to full-season fellowships. From time to time, new, additional, and/or short-term fellowships may become available. When available, those fellowships are posted here. Please pay special attention to these fellowship descriptions, deadlines, and application requirements.
Completed applications are accepted by email only and should include the following items. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All application components submitted by email should be in Microsoft Word and/or Adobe PDF file formats. Please note that Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional is required to submit the application cover sheet by email. Please double check your application before submitting to ensure that all files are readable and complete.
- Application Cover Sheet: Download the Application Cover Sheet and with Adobe Reader type in your pertinent information and save the document as a PDF for printing or attachment to an email. Please check your PDF before you send it to make sure your information is attached and correct.
- Personal Statement: This statement should be no longer than one page and include the following: the fellowship you are applying for and why (include a second choice due to the large number of applications); what you expect from an A.C.T. fellowship; your career objectives and how you expect to achieve them; your academic credentials; your experience and/or education in theater; and the qualities you possess that qualify you as a candidate for an A.C.T. fellowship. Your personal statement should reveal information about yourself that may not be represented in your résumé or recommendations.
- Résumé: Please include your email address and permanent contact information.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: These letters may be submitted separately from the rest of your application but must be received by the deadline. We will not consider incomplete applications for any fellowship. Please indicate on your application cover sheet the names of the people who will be sending your recommendations.
- Writing Sample (ONLY for Artistic, Development, Education, and Publications Fellowships): Please include an academic writing sample of no more than 1,500 words. We prefer but do not require writing samples about theater. Creative writing samples are generally not encouraged.
- Portfolio (ONLY for Graphic Design, Media, and Web Development Fellowships): Please send several samples of your work in your field (e.g., images, video reels, links to websites you have created, etc.) that will help us get to know you and your work.
- Lesson Plan (ONLY for Education Fellowship): Please include a sample lesson plan for a one-hour theater-based classroom workshop.
Please email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline for 2017-18 Fellowships is March 31, 2017.
Successful applicants will be contacted by May 5, 2017.
Please do not call or email to check on the status of your application. However, if you have relocated, your situation has changed, or you've accepted employment elsewhere, we would appreciate an email.
© 2016 American Conservatory Theater-a tax-exempt 501c3 nonprofit organization. Number 94-6135772.